Sunday, July 8, 2012

Game Day Beer Review: Ninkasi Brewing Believer Double Red Ale

(6.90% ABV)  Poured in a Oregon hotel room into a cheap plastic cup, Believer is a much darker brown than expected, and appears thinnish, with virtually no head apparent.




The beer's smell is dominated by upfront malt, and a slight hint of sweet dark fruits.

It's the taste that really sets this beer apart.  The fruits, especially the cherries, make themselves readily apparent when tasting Believer. This is a very different beer from every other red ale I've ever had, and I'm pleasantly surprised. It's not usually my favorite style, but I have to give the boys from Eugene their props on this one: I really like it.  






The bittering hops become apparent only on the finish, as they balance out the upfront sweetness nicely. This beer has a medium mouthfeel and is pleasantly carbonated, making the tongue tingle when drinking.  Ninkasi's definitely made a Believer out of me: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment