Saturday, October 8, 2011

Game Day Beer Review: Widmer Brothers Brewing Okto Festival Altbier



Up next on the Oktoberfest parade, we head approximately 5,400 miles away from Munich to get this next beer, from one of Portland, Oregon's most successful craft breweries. I generally find Widmer Brothers' styles to be on the simple side, but what they lack in complexity they more than make up for in their straightforward, honest and enjoyable expressions of style. In fact, their Hefeweizen was one of the first beers I had that really turned me on to craft brewing.

Poured from the bottle, Widmer Bros Okto Festival Ale is a deep caramel color, with a thinnish, off white head that dwindles but doesn't just fade away. The beer has a malty nose, and I also get just the tiniest hint of licorice. It's got some root beer on the taste, a fair amount of malt, and it's deeply satisfying.

It may be that I just came from my hot yoga class before cracking this beer (a bit like William Hurt lighting up a cigarette as soon as he finishes his jog in the early '80s classic film "Body Heat"), but Damn! this beer is good. It's simple and straightforward, but also nicely carbonated and rich tasting. I'll give it a B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment