Saturday, May 14, 2011

Game Day Beer Bar Review: The Meddlesome Moth

photo by Daquella maneravia PhotoRee

While in Dallas on a business trip, I recently had the opportunity to stop by the Meddlesome Moth. To borrow a line from Beer Advocate, the Moth is the real deal. This is a bar that takes its beer seriously -- but not too seriously. It's the kind of place I wish I had in my home town, and the future, I think, of the beer bar industry.

The Moth is an upscale, high-class place, that also happens to serve more than 40 beers on tap, and an endless number of beers by the bottle. The taps are placed off to the left as you enter, and the sleek silver bar is a work of art unto itself. Above the seemingly endless array of well -chosen tap beers is a chalk board -- all the better to rotate the taps according to what's in stock and on pour at the moment.


I happened to enjoy two excellent beers during my visit: Oskar Blues' Mama's Little Yella Pils (see prior review), as well as North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout (on nitro-draft, see prior review). Both beers are to me a litmus test of a serious beer bar's credentials, and on this regard the Moth passed with flying colors. The beers went down easily -- maybe too easily? -- and I left with major regrets at not having the opportunity to sample more from the Moth's salacious menu.

The music was pretty good, too. I recall at one point being engrossed in conversation, yet still somehow noticing that Cheap Trick's Dirty Deeds (Done Dirt Cheap) was blaring out from the stereo and into my sub-consciousness. I have other recollections, too, barely there in my consciousness: stained glass windows in the background, cool moth bar coasters, and ultra-delcious (and weird) chewy ginger-spiced candy available upon exit.

Suffice it to say: if you're headed to the Big D, and beer is on the menu, then the Meddlesome Moth is the way to go. I wish I lived closer. This is a bar at which I would DEFINITELY be a regular.

This is farlieonfootie for May 14, as reprinted from May 12 (thanks to Blogger).  It's a long story.

No comments:

Post a Comment