Tuesday, February 22, 2011

On Why I Write

photo by Ben30via PhotoRee


I recently read an excellent piece by Richard Whittall (@RWhittall on Twitter) which confronted me with the question of why I was doing this whole blogging bit. I'll let you in on a little secret: it's not for the money -- at least not yet. 


Sure, I have this bit of a fantasy about how I'll suddenly be "disovered" as a soccer/football blogger of the highest order, and some news organization will throw wads of cash at me in a bid for the privilege of publishing my witty bon mots from the next World Cup (Ed. Note: As if there's a news agency with wads of cash, other than a "new media" agency; surely the "old world" media are penniless). But that's not really the driving force behind this blog.


 

Blogging also gives me a creative outlet, and allows me to express the many thoughts that appear from nowhere only to end up in my head at some point during a game. Sure, there's also Twitter for expressing those (and that's another whole column, because I am absolutely in LOVE with Twitter), but the blog offers more than 140 characters at a time to record the many thoughts and emotions that football imparts upon me.

But it's more than that. It's more. Writing a blog allows me to connect with people who share my interests and passions, who form a community with which to interact. Whereas Facebook allows you to connect with people you know, or knew in a former life, a blog allows me to connect -- a basic human need, after all -- with people I may never "know" in the physical world sense, but probably should. People who share my interests.  



And invite them into my life: farlieonofootie allows me the opportunity to engage in a daily dialog -- some days more interesting than others, some days more provocative than others, but I hope never boring -- with people who love English football in general, and Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur in particular. And it's allowed me the opportunity to do so on a global basis -- by the way, here's a shout out to my readers on the Isle of Man -- I love you guys!

And it allows me a creative outlet for all of these ideas running through my head -- for instance, how am I going to connect beer and football, two of my passions? It's easy enough to drink a beer while I watch the game, but how can I talk about it.  How can I merge the two?  And then, suddenly, it came to me, as Game Day Beer Reviews appeared, seemingly out of nowhere, one morning while I was thinking in the shower.

So that's what I'm trying to do with farlieonfootie: link my passions and find other like-minded people in this world. So if you don't like it, or you want more of one thing or another, speak up. This is about a building global community, not a dictatorship. And we don't need a Jasmine Revolution, or an Orange Revolution, or even a revolution of any kind. We have a blog. So let me know your thoughts, and I'll try to work them into the blog. After all, feedback is helpful, especially when it's offered in a constructive manner.

Which brings me full circle back to Richard's blog. He wrote that it takes a blog some time to find its style and voice. And that's where I'm at right now:  I may not be there yet, but I'm beginning to make my way. I'm finding my voice. Sure, there may be adjustments and tweaks -- or even major overhauls -- along the way, but these are the first tentaive steps in a long journey. I hope you'll come along with us, and contribute to the journey, as well.

This is farlieonfootie on February 22.




No, what's moved me at this point in my life -- busy with family and work -- is my love of the game the world calls football, and a feeling that I have something to offer that could potentially be of value: my thoughts.  They may not be earth shattering, they may not shake you to the core, but I hope they're often perceptive, witty, and insightful.  And I hope they add to your love of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment