Saturday, February 12, 2011

Speechless

photo by TheGiantVerminvia PhotoRee

For one of the few times in my life, I find myself speechless. Or wordless. Writer's block, I think they call it. So instead of my usual column, you'll have to satisfy yourselves with the usual news roundup. Sorry, but it's difficult to be brilliant every day, especially when you've been grounded to the nub by life's other events. So here goes:

He's Baaaaack:  Uncle Roy makes his return to EPL football this weekend, back in the saddle at West Bromwich Albion. Given the derisory treatment Roy received at the hands of the scouse crowd at the last joint he worked, I wish Hodgson nothing but the best, and hope WBA will avoid the drop they were so clearly heading toward under Roberto DiMatteo.

Mancini Stirs the Pot:  Before yesterday afternoon, there was relatively little in the way of locker room billboard material for either side to get excited about leading up to the Manchester Derby. Enter the Scarved One, and his belief that United were "very lucky"  to do the double over City last season. I don't know about you, but I don't recall anything "lucky" about scoring four goals the first game at Old Trafford, and then scoring a late, late goal to claim a 1-nil win back at Wastelands. That is, unless you're willing to write off all of United's late victories over the Fergie years as being "lucky," in which case, I'll gladly take it. In any event, Roberto, thanks for adding fuel to the United fire.

Was that a Towel that Just Flew By?: Carlo Ancelloti has admitted Chelsea's chances at the EPL title are pretty well done, and the team is now focusing on finishing fourth or better, as well as the Champions League. I don't know about you, but Chelsea to me feels like one of the monsters in the horror movie that gets killed off but keeps coming back. I think they're dead, but you never know.



Like a Priest on a Mountain of Sugar: In the biggest piece of non-news of the week, Inter playmaker Wesley Sneijder has said that he feels much more relaxed playing football under Leonardo than he did under Rafa Benitez, and that subsequent revival under the former should not surprise anyone. I know it didn't surprise me, Wesley.  Rafa, maybe.  Me, no.

This is farlieonfootie for February 12, ready, willing and able for the Manchester Derby.


No comments:

Post a Comment