Saturday, December 17, 2011

Game Day Beer Review: Oskar Blues Brewery Ted Fidy Imperial Stout




(10.50% ABV).  I have to admit I was puzzled by the name of this beer the first several times I saw it. Ten Fidy -- I just couldn't quite work out what it meant... The meaning should be well apparent to you, however, if you look just to the left of where this review begins. If you still new help after you're taken a gander at the alcohol level of this brew, drop me a line and I'll help you out. All I'll ask for in return is a little Ten Fidy....


This excellent brew comes from Oskar Blues brewing, located in Lyons, Colorado. It's one of my favorite domestic breweries, and if you haven't tried something from these guys, you owe it to yourself to do so.

I've reviewed other beers from Oskar Blues on the website before, but much to my surprise I've never reviewed this particular offering, especially as it's one of my favorites.  With winter quickly approaching, and the weather beginning to cool down a bit, the timing seems about right, so here goes: 


Ten Fidy pours like no other beer you've ever seen.  It's thick and viscous, kind of like a ink black motor oil.  It doesn't create a huge head, but what head it does create is a solid mocha brown color before it disappears.

I'm getting booze, chocolate, and licorice on the nose, but it's the taste that really sets this thing apart.  It's a mélange of sweetish coffee and chocolate, followed by a boozy, licorice tasting finish that lasts and lasts and lasts.  It's thick on the tongue, with just a tiny bit of carbonation.  


I know Imperial Stouts are not everyone's cup of tea, but this is probably my favorite style of beer.  It's a  sipper, definitely not sessionable, and I consider it to be a great after dinner drink when you're sitting around the house and only want to have one beer. It would also make a great dessert beer, paired with something deeply chocolate, but I don't usually eat dessert when I'm drinking beer. This one's dessert enough for me: A

No comments:

Post a Comment