Monday, December 26, 2011

Game Day Beer Review: North Coast Brewing Scrimshaw Pilsner



Another offering from one of my favorite American breweries, North Coast Brewing, out of Fort Bragg, California, Scrimshaw Pilsner pours a deep golden color, maybe a shade toward orange, with very little head.

The beer smells extremely mild, with some wheat noticeable -- I'll call the scent "bready." I'm also getting the slightest essence of a citrus fruit on the nose.

It's Scrimshaw's taste that gets you hooked, though. It's mild, but perfectly balanced: hops, malt, barley and water. Check, check, check, check: they're all there. It's basically everything you want in a pilsner: crisp and refreshing, with good carbonation. Drinking this reminds me of Oskar Blues' Mama's Little Yella Pils -- not in taste, but in practice. Why would you drink a mass beer, even the blandest style, if you could be drink one of those two beers...?

Scrimshaw's so much better than an ordinary mass beer -- I could knock back about ten of these....  To bastardize an old Schaefer advertisement, Scrimshaw is the one beer to have when you're having more than one!

It would be a perfect beer with pizza. Maybe I'm just hungry for some pizza, but I still have the feeling this would be a perfect match....  Run out and get some today: A

No comments:

Post a Comment