Saturday, July 2, 2011

Rumors and Speculation

photo by R/DV/RSvia PhotoRee

Some thoughts on activity (and inactivity) so far in the summer transfer window:

o I'm going out on a limb here, but I think David De Gea is going to be a wonderful 'keeper.  I've been banging on about him on this website for almost a year now -- I was impressed from the first time I saw him play live for Atletico Madrid, handing Barcelona their only La Liga defeat of the 2009/2010 season.   His long, lanky frame covers a ton of ground, and he's one of the best shot blockers in Europe.  He's young and likely still learning, but I'm confident he'll be able to handle the pressure cooker that is Old Trafford, and that he's going to be United's rock in front of goal for years to come.

o Arsenal should pay whatever it takes to sign Chris Samba.  He's exactly the kind of imposing physical player the Gunners need to be competitive.  I don't rate Gary Cahill nearly as much -- he may be a fine player, but Arsenal need someone with some size, bite and presence.  They need someone opponents fear.  I hope they don't sign him.

o Joey Barton is another player that Arsenal should sign.  I've seen some rumors linking the two, but can't see the Professor signing up Bad Boy Joey.  Even though he's a head case, he's also a damn fine player, and has the type of fighting spirit which Arsenal desperately needs, and has lacked ever since the departure of Patrick Vieira.

o I hope Chelsea sign ether Hulk or Radamel Falcao, both of whom formerly played under new headman Andres Villas-Boas while he coached Porto.  I don't rate either striker as someone who would succeed in the EPL, and signing one or the other will throw another wrench -- not to mention ego -- into the current Chelsea striker mix of Didier Drogba, Fernando Torres and Nicolas Anelka.  Something's got to give, and I hope it's Chelsea's chemistry.  Again.

 o I think there's one more shoe to drop in Manchester this summer, and I'm not talking about City.  I think it's going to be a big one.  I don't know whether the signing will be Modric, Sneijder, Nasri or Sanchez, but I think one more key player is on the way.

And if it does happen -- if it's one more big name coming United's way -- what's going to happen to those who criticize the Glazers for not spending money on new players?  The team has already laid out more than £55 million this summer, and I'm envisioning this new signing as costing somewhere between £20 - £30 million or more.  It would certainly put lie to those who have claimed over the past several years that Fergie's transfer spending has been held back by the owners.  And it's hard to argue with the team's record during that period.

o Once more, and for the record, I admire Modric more than the others, and have since Column 2 of this blog.  I really hope United sign him, but am admitting it's a long shot at this point.  Sneijder is the most likely to head to Manchester, as he's basically said "Come and get me" to the United front office, and although I would be excited to see what he could do for us, I'd be more excited by the signing of Samir Nasri-- maybe it's a creativity thing.  Modric and Nasri play the beautiful game, which I'm convinced can be cross-pollinated with Sir Alex's brand of winning football to create the next great United side.  Time will tell.

This is farlieonfootie for July 2.



No comments:

Post a Comment