|photo by My Alternative Photos
- What in the world are Wayne Rooney and Ryan Giggs doing on the pitch five days before the European championship?? I'm sure the Neville Testimonial was scheduled weeks ago, but did the Reds' front office have such little faith in the club's chances of making the final that they scheduled this game for the same week? I can't imagine an NFL team preparing for the Super Bowl by giving a exhibition runout to two starters and some important bench players (Scholes, and possibly O'Shea, Anderson and Rafael) the week of the final.
- That being said, and maybe I'm reading too much into the tea laves of tonight's game, but Sir Alex's selections for the exhibition make me think he's going with the following lineup against Barca:
- And if that's the case, here's who I think ends up on the bench: PIG, Smalling, Scholes, Anderson, Nani, Fletcher & Berbatov
- The first half of Tuesday night's game reminded me of the good-times atmosphere associated with a Harlem Globetrotters game, with Juve playing the part of the Washington Generals. About all that was missing was a player throwing a fake bucket of water into the stands.....
- Paul Scholes can't even make a clean tackle in a friendly.
- Tonight also marked the return of Bebe to the "first" team, although I had to laugh at his first shot, just after the half hour mark. I think the ball is still orbiting.
- Speaking of Bebe, I can guarantee you this game will be the only time in your life you'll manage to see Wayne Rooney, Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes simultaneously replaced by Darren Gibson, Gabriel Obertan and Bebe. Make note.
- Anyone notice there were two number 7's on the pitch Tuesday night? I'm guessing the fact that Michael Owen played as much as he did in the game tonight means he's not going to be on the bench for Saturday.
This is farlieonfootie paying tribute to a true United legend on May 25.