Friday, May 4, 2012

Game Day Beer Review: Florida Beer Company Swamp Ape Imperial IPA

photo by Robert S. Donovanvia PhotoRee


Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Brewery: Florida Beer Company, Melbourne, FL 

ABV: 9.50%

Reviewer: James


Look 4.0   Smell 3.0   Taste 1.0    Feel 1.5   Overall 1.0



To say this beer sucks could be an insult to suckiness.  I picked this up with no prior research at the craft beer store while on a recent vacation in Florida (every time I do that it seems to backfire).  It had a cool label, I liked the name, and figured I could sample first hand one of the up and coming Florida craft brewers I had been hearing about.  

Really, I have no idea what this was.  It's billed as a double IPA, but there were barely any hops in smell or taste; not much malt, fruit or really anything else of note, except for alcohol, which one tastes throughout.  

The good news, if any, is that at 9.50% ABV, after you down two of these you really don't care much about quality.  But, in all honesty, one might be able to accomplish as much with a bottle of rubbing alcohol and orange food coloring.  Avoid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment