Friday, June 8, 2012

Game Day Beer Review: Rogue Brewing Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Smoked Ale



Poured from a pink bottle into a tulip glass. Voodoo Doughnut appears the color of maple syrup, with a thick head that quickly disappears.  It's actually much lighter than I was expecting.  I don't know what color exactly I was anticipating, but something along the color of Aunt Jemima Syrup would not have surprised me....

Voodoo Doughnut smells like a bacon, pancake and maple syrup breakfast.  It's absolutely remarkable that the great brewers at Rogue were able to capture this fragrance in a bottle, and a bottle of beer, no less.





It's more bacon than anything else on the initial taste, followed by the sweetened mellowness of the maple syrup. Smokiness pervades the entire beer, which tastes a bit darker than it looks.....  The bacon aftertaste lingers. And lingers. And lingers. Voodoo Doughnut is well carbonated, and only medium bodied for all of its ostensibly heavy flavors.

This beer was a bit harsh tasting at first, but really grew on me over time.  By the last sip I was thinking about another bottle....  I don;t know that I would drink it regularly, but I'm glad i tried it.  B-




1 comment: