Friday, February 25, 2011

Game Day Beer Review: Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA


From the Desk of Correspondent James:

I have been drinking Sierra Nevada Brewing's Torpedo Extra IPA on and off for years.  It is definitely one of the most available and affordable premium American IPAs on the market.  Currently going for $6.99 for a sixer at my local Piggly Wiggly, it may be the best beer value anywhere (what would we do without Sierra Nevada?).  I used to think it was almost too hoppy – and I love hops – to the point of at times tasting burnt.  I do not know if Sierra Nevada has smoothed that out recently or whether I've just gotten used to it, but it has become a lot more drinkable for me.  Regardless, this is not a super citrusy IPA – more piney with the aforementioned very strong hop flavor.  Pours a muted orange with a one finger head and very nice lacing.  The smell is definitely hoppy, piney with only a hint of citrus /lemon.  Taste is the same, with an almost perfect level of carbonation for this style.  Drinkability may be a bit better with other premium IPA’s that lean more towards the citrus side (Smutty Nose Finest Kind comes to mind) but is still quite acceptable for this style.  This is not the best American IPA on the market but it is very close:  A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment